Who said cupcakes couldn’t be savoury? These cupcakes are gluten free and sugar free – and by that I mean there is just one teaspoon of rice malt syrup in the whole recipe.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
- 150g gluten free self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 125g softened butter
- 150g grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 2 eggs
For the candied bacon and walnuts:
- 8 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon of brandy
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed walnuts
For the frosting:
- 110g butter
- 110g cream cheese
- 1 tsp brandy
- Preheat oven to 180C (gas mark 4).
- Put 12 cup cake cases into a bun tin.
- Sieve the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl then add the butter, carrot, almond milk and walnuts. Stir together until well mixed.
- Pour half the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until mixed, before adding the remaining wet mixture to the mixture until well mixed.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, beat together the cream cheese, butter and brandy in a bowl and set aside.
- For the candied bacon, add the rice malt syrup and olive oil in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Warm a large pan on high and then turn the heat to low-medium. Lightly dip one side of the bacon in the mixture and then add to the pan, before drizzling a little of the mixture on the other side of the bacon. Cook until bacon is browned on both sides.
- Once all the bacon is cooked and cooled, cut into small squares.
- Toss the bacon bits and crushed walnuts into the bowl with the leftover dressing.
- Top the cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese and then add the bacon and walnut topping onto the cupcakes.
And voila! Delicious, gluten free and healthy cupcakes.